The complete bi-directional connection
between your database and QuarkXPress or InDesign
DATAform Add-on is a fully featured database publishing tool with these three main features:
|1. Create QuarkXPress or InDesign documents
With a DATAform Add-on any programable database can be used to create complete and sophisticated layout documents. With DATAformTags any QuarkXPress or InDesign boxes and all of their properties can be defined as ASCII-text and created in the layout program. There are more than 70 DATAformTags to deal with almost every aspect of a QuarkXPress or InDesign document, such as
|2. Export QuarkXPress or InDesign documents
To update your database DATAform Add-on translates the layout document or parts of it into a DATAformTags text file again. The ASCII-file contains all information about the document and the database is able to reimport and maintain every piece of information, such as
|- create new documents
- create new pages
- create boxes with over 70 specific properties
- create boxes on a specific page and position
- create text boxes with any formated content
- create picture boxes, load, scale, offset the picture
- create chained text boxes over many pages
- create anchored text and picture boxes or lines
| - reimport all document properties
- reimport the new page position of each box
- reimport over 70 properties of each box
- reimport the text of all text boxes optionally with XPressTags or InDesignTags
- reimport the picture paths of picture boxes
- reimport all scaling and offset specifications of pictures
- reimport the complete chaining information of chained text boxes
- reimport all anchored boxes and lines and their anchor position
|By using just one ASCII-file you can create an entire catalogue - ready to print or ready for manual finishing by the designer. The database made boxes and contents can be modified in layout program like any other hand made boxes.
|3. Update QuarkXPress or InDesign documents
The third main function of a DATAform Add-on is the updating of layout documents. If the contents of the database was changed, e.g. due to a new set of prices, the database updates the QuarkXPress or InDesign document. The designer’s finishing or work remains unchanged and just the contents of boxes will be replaced.
For a complete list of functions please refer to the DATAformXTension developer handbook. Since XTension and Plugin are working the same way, the XTension handbook applies to the Plugin as well.
There is a special interface for the 4D database development system (www.4D.com) to facilitate the use of DATAform functionality in your database. This interface is also included as a text file. If you prefer another database than 4D to build up your database publishing system you may use it as a coding script. The entire interface can be downloaded here.
- Download a full demo version of DATAformXTension/DATAformPlugin.
- Try the examples Hello World and DATAformXTension/Plugin-Demo. Within minutes you will experience live on your computer how easy it is to create QuarkXPress or InDesign documents automatically.